Nathan Stratton Treadway <muttli...@nathanst.com> wrote:
> I've always just run my own (Linux) email server locally in my home
> office, but my current Internet service is soon going to be going away
> and I was wondering if it would make sense to move to some sort of
> mail-hosting company as part of reorganizing my network setup.

It could be worth it.  I've run my own mailservers for the last couple of
decades, and it keeps becoming more of a pain in the ass as the 900-lb
gorillas of the email world impose arbitrary new restrictions in the name of
anti-spam.

> here to see if anyone has recommendations for mail hosting services that
> target neither "consumer" nor "enterprise" clients, but somewhere in the
> middle (and which play nicely with Mutt and other IMAP clients)?

Yes, there are a number out there.  The specific ones I'd recommend are way
out of date, but look for ones running "vmailmgr" by Bruce Guenter.  They tend
to be technically savvy and give you full control over the way email is
handled for the domain -- it's not just a catchall POP/IMAP account.

> For example, a service that allows unlimited "aliases" for a set of
> domains, pointing to a handful of "user mailboxes" which actually
> receive email?

This is easy with vmailmgr.

Charles
Charles Cazabon