On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 08:25:46AM -0600, mai...@email.com wrote:
so I am thinking that there must be something in the password amongst the special characters used that mutt does not like reading from the rc file. I am wondering what those characters are, and how do I get around it in my muttrc? Probably an Escape sequence?

In general, you'll want to use single quotes to avoid any kind of interpretation by Mutt when processing the string. e.g.:
  set smtp_pass = 'cr@zyp$ssw0rd'

If your password contains a single quote you'll have to so something like, e.g. for cr@zy'p$ssw0rd:
  set smtp_pass = 'cr@zy'\''p$ssw0rd'

If you use backtick evaluation to obtain the password from a program, you should put the backticks inside double quotes to avoid reevaluation:
  set smtp_pass = "`gpg --batch -q --decrypt ~/.passwords/mypass.gpg`"

See <http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#muttrc-syntax> for more information about muttrc syntax.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy