Hello Sam, many thanks for your interesting response!

Sam Kuper (2022/08/11 17:43 +0000):
> Consider using msmtp for sending, and msmtp-queue for queueing:
>

>https://lists.mutt.org/pipermail/mutt-users/Week-of-Mon-20210208/002485.html

My understanding is that, on one side, mutt would call msmtp-queue as a
replacement for sendmail and that, on the other side, msmtp needs to
somehow be called on a regular basis to try to send the messages that
are in the queue, if network is available. Is this understanding
correct?

Also, given how important e-mail is, I am a bit worried about the
transition: any advice on how to switch from exim4 to this new set-up as
smoothly as possible and without risking to be unable to send e-mail for
some time?

I am considering trying on a different machine, or perhaps in a chroot
or docker container, although even with these two last options I am
scared because once in the past I deleted my whole home directory by
removing a chroot in which that home directory was bind-mounted. Since
then I have backups, but still...

Best wishes,

Sébastien.