Thanks for your responses so far!

The reason I need this index is that I have to provide evidence of "a huge volume of mails" on a given topic, without actually sharing the emails. So I need a PDF index. Hence I thought making an HTML table, and then printing that. Easiest.

A screenshot/bitmap approach would be very hard to turn into a useable PDF, I think.

Sam is right, threads are digraphs, but Mutt displays them in a table, and I think that's a good compromise.

I don't think it will be better or easier than what you've done. But you could try using a '|' filter in $index_format to append some output to a file as a side effect. It would still entail manually pgdn'ing through the index.

Not a bad idea, but unfortunately, the Unicode characters used to represent threads in mutt's index seem to be some sort of ncurses-special, and the whole thing would need parsing. But this is definitely an interesting approach, as I could probably craft an `$index_format` that generates HTML `<tr>`'s, and PgDn'ing over a thousand messages might be something the X repeat buffer can do. ;)

I knew why I'd ask here! ;)

Thanks,

--
@martinkrafft | https://matrix.to/#/#madduck:madduck.net
"i worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty."