On Sat, Sep 03, 2022 at 05:35:31PM -0500, x...@trimaso.com.mx wrote:

> What's the current panorama for POP3 nowadays? Is it still used or is it
> dying? I heard Yahoo dropped POP3 support since years ago, except for paid
> users...
>
> Thanks again.

I don't think POP will go away entirely. I can't
imagine dovecot removing support for it. The entities
that would want to abandon POP are ones like
Yahoo/Gmail/Microsoft who store their users' emails.

I have a mail server on a little VM that some family
members use. I wouldn't want to store their emails
indefinitely, or be responsible for backups, so they
all connect via POP to fetch mail, which they delete a
week or two later (to give multiple devices a chance to
see everything), and they handle their own backups.

But I suppose it could disappear from big mail
providers. When there are choices, they can pick a
favourite and make a choice on behalf of their users
rather than letting their users make their own choices.
But this is speculation. I don't really know.

cheers,
raf