> certificate b43f1e2c.0 (foo) for firstname.lastn...@charite.de added.
>
> But what *IS* "b43f1e2c"? Is it a serial number, a part of the fingerprint?

It looks like an openssl hash, the type c_rehash generates. Like, what
you may find under /etc/ssl/certs.

> > Also check the config options `crypt_verify_sig`, and
> > `smime_verify_command`, `smime_verify_opaque_command`
>
> I'll have a look at those.
>
> > When receiving a smime signed mail, mutt tells me if the signature is
> > valid or not.
>
> Well yes, but in some cases (please don't ask) my moron users have
> more than one valid certifcate in use and I'd like to know which one
> that is (because they don't know).

I do not seem to have this problem. Maybe using S/MIME support via gpgme
makes this all a bit easier to handle?

gpgsm --list-keys ralf.hildebra...@charite.de

would give you all information about the key, including ID (which is the
last part of the fingerprint), serial etc.