I would suggest, and have used very successfully, using some form of
object caching in the model. While I use a custom built cache for the
task, jakarta's commons-pool and commons-collections would provide most
of what you need to do this with.

The extra part added to the caching scheme here is a time limit on the
object life.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether this belongs in the model or the
controller? I find it should sit right along side the persistence/data
retrieval mechanisms in the model.

Cheers,
Brett