Hi Kevin, I agree with your opinion on the validate() method. We're using a
single form per application so it is impossible for the validate() method to
find out what validation to perform. Therefore we use action logic to do
validations. Only type validations are done in the setter methods of
attributes. This seems to work fine.

We also decided to do the String conversions for attributes in a wrapper
class. This is mostly generated code that calls setter methods on a bean,
accepting Strings as input. This way our code has a handle to do more
advanced error handling on the attribute level. One implementation of our
generator creates code for every attribute that stores a copy of the value
entered by the user so it may be send back if there is an error (e.g. an
error in a Date value), providing the user with a chance to correct the
value without having to type it all over again. I'm not sure if Struts
should be handling this kind of stuff, but it didn't seem to work in the
version we started out with.

Regards, Jan Vermeir