Vic,
  That's what it was - Xerces.  I replaced xercesImpl.jar and
xmlParserAPIs.jar with Xerces 2.0.1 versions and basicportal is now
running under 5.0.
  Tomcat 5 didn't like the version of Xerces that was packaged with
basicportal.

rgds,
Gerry Reno

--- grenoml <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Vic,
>   Ok, found a typo in context stanza.  The app context is now running
> but I'm back to the same old error as at first:
>
> java.lang.VerifyError: Cannot inherit from final class
>       at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
>       at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:537)
>       at

java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClassInternal(WebappClassLoader.java:1540)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClass(WebappClassLoader.java:841)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1274)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1154)
>       at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
>       at

org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.createContentDispatcher(Unknown
> Source)
>       at

org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:249)
>       at

org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:245)