Hi Lisa!

I guess one person's intuitive is another person's UI clutter :)

I find the manual sort feature very intuitive. The user drags-and-
drops where he/she wants them to be in the To-Do view, and new tasks
to the view are added to the bottom of the list, intuitive. Where else
would you add the new tasks? I don't want the new tasks at the top
after I manually moved my important and/or urgent tasks to the top. In
the middle (now I am just being silly)? Alphabetically (I don't think
so as I want to spot my new tasks as they come into my manually sorted
view)? At the bottom of the list makes sense to me, intuitive.

This notion of mixing manual sorts with other secondary sorts is not
only not intuitive to me, but I don't know how you could possibly
implement it. Your view that is sorted by due date is a good example.
Let's say you have the following due dates in sorted order
1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,6,7,7,8,9. Now you manually move things around
without changing the due date because you want some at the front of
your attention regardless of the due date. Let's say your new manually
sorted order is 1,5,2,2,3,7,4,6,2,3,4,7,1,8,9. If any new task comes
in dated 1-7 where are you going to put it in that sequence? How would
MLO know where to put it if not at the bottom or end of the list?
Primary, secondary, and further sorts are possible when sorting on
fields. But when a user manually sorts a list (random), I don't think
secondary sorts are possible (but I have been wrong once or twice in
my life) :)

I believe that manual sorting as presented is a very useful feature
particularly if the user does not try to manually sort everything on
the list, just because he/she can. My recollection is that his feature
request for manual sorting arose because users were not happy with the
results from hierarchical or Computed-Score sorting algorithms
(although these algorithms have improved greatly over the years).
Users wanted the ability to "tweak" the results and move tasks around
to where they thought they should be in the view. If you have a list
of 50 tasks in Computed-Score order and you want to move 3 to 5 tasks
to the top of the list, or move a few tasks, that are near the top,
down the list, I think Andrey's manual sorting works quite well. I
don't believe that you are suggesting that if you are manually sorting
that you must put all 50 tasks in a precise order, or else all you
would be doing every day is moving tasks around your view every time a
new task pops into the view.

I do see the value in being able to go back to the view before it was
manually sorted (fresh start). I am doing this currently by having an
"automatic" view and a "manual view". But if the consensus, and more
importantly, if Andrey believes that another check box  to the UI is
more intuitive, then I have no great objection to that (not that my
opinion matters that much in the great scheme of things).

Best regards,

Ron