I like option 3 best Richard.

Sometimes you want to leave the Search Box open. If, for example,
you're looking for something in Task Notes and you have to select to
display but if it's not what you want you need to go back to the
filtered Search Box. Other times you know you've got the right task
and just want to select and close the Search Box. So a toggle option,
like the Ctrl key, would work fine.

Regards,
Ken