Yes, I think I'd broadly agree with all of that! With regards to
Google Calendar (which I use all the time & love but I didn't
recognise the gCal abbreviation - how slow am I?!) I think a one-way
synchronisation (ie view only) would work, but to make it read-only in
Google Calendar it would have to go into it's own Calendar I think,
which you don't touch, just view. I've come across a a couple of times
the problem of delayed updating, but only by a few minutes. I assumed
it was just a problem with the web interface/connection, but perhaps
it's an actual Google issue.