Re 1.  Agree that you can do it now by changing the view properties but it
is a bit cumbersome (and you  need to remember how the view works).

What I was looking for was the ability to select a particular parameter (or
parameters) in the view properties and expose this/them in a simple panel so
that you can change these quickly

Re 2:  :-)

Er - and a 'calendar' view?