The primary problem with "phone home" systems is the general assumption
that the system/device where the application is installed will have access
to the internet at the time the application starts, EVERY time the system
starts (there are some phone home schemes that only check daily or weekly,
but most seem to check at every application start).

That's an erroneous assumption.  I may very well be working with a tablet
that is wi-fi only, and it may not be connected to the network for days.
Or I may be working on a phone on a plane and want to check my schedule for
when I arrive at my destination.  Phone home systems generally prevent you
from using the application (or at least using it fully) when the
application cannot confirm the validity of the license.

There's also included in this the also erroneous assumption that data, even
in small amounts, should be freely available.  The problem there is when
you think about roaming with a phone - even a little blip of data can be
expensive, and if you're overseas, it becomes a real factor.