Thanks for your input!
The reason why I chose a folder as a parent was initially, that I work a lot with folders and have workspace and view filters where folders are my grouping method. Though it of course does not have to be a folder; I might as well set my "Punch-list" as a task as I found the reminder for the entire list works best for me.
Initially I had alerts on quite a few of my punch-list tasks, but was somewhat frustrated with the only option to complete even uncompleted tasks if I wanted to be reminded of them again. Maybe some sort of option to distinguish between the actual task status (complete or dismissed) and an independent alert itself would be worth while.
Now I will just try to treat that parent reminder as an alert to review the entire list. It just struck me strange, that I could set recurring alerts to folders so they become tasks - which of course, one cannot complete since there is no option (checkbox) to do so. Also, to add to the confusion, I was able to set both start and due date to today, nevertheless the time frame was set to never expire. Logically thinking the task should not have an end date then, no? I am not trying to find flaws though, so please dont take it as a complaint, rather my thoughts while I tried to get to know the details or recurrence feature.

Thanks so much for pointing out the important settings on the advanced recurrence dialog - I had missed it and find the result now really beneficial. I have independent due dates now plus I get the reminder for the entire list.

Have a great thursday =)
Brienne