Hi, Robert.

I appreciate your frustration with waiting for a fix. In my experience the best
way to provoke the developers into spending time on this function is to have a
thorough discussion of proposed fixes, to be certain that we have fully thought
through what we are saying, have identified the problem areas and presented a
suggestion that will be beneficial to lots of users while being detrimental to
very few if any, then posting the proposal on User Voice and getting lots of
votes. (If it turns out that you and I are the only people who care about this,
the developers would be foolish if they were to invest a lot of time enhancing
it for us.)

This all takes some time and effort, but if you want to try it, I will join you.

Let me start with this: I believe that you have proposed two different
solutions. Solution one: Mute any location alarm if the immediate prior
location alarm of the same type (arrival/departure) happened within the last xx
minutes. Solution two: Mute any location alarm if the immediate prior location
alarm of the same type (arrival/departure) was for the same location.

Questions:

Solution one: If I’ve created location-based lists for grocery store, hardware
store, and drug store and I’m walking through a business district with all
three stores, I will only be alerted to the first one I pass. Is that
acceptable to you? Or did I misunderstand your proposal?

Solution two: If I’m passing the hardware store and MLO alerts me to open tasks
at that location, but I don’t have time to stop right now, I will just walk on
by. If I understand your proposal, if I pass the hardware store again tomorrow,
when I –do- have time to stop, MLO will not alert me if I haven’t gotten any
other location alerts in the meantime. In fact if I only have one location set
for alarms, I will only be alerted the first time I pass it, all subsequent
alarms will be muted. Is that acceptable to you? Or did I misunderstand your
proposal?

Possible hybrid solution three, combining aspects of one and two: Mute any
location alarm if the immediate prior location alarm of the same type
(arrival/departure) was for the same location and happened within the last xx
minutes. Downside to this one is in places where the phone is switching between
cell towers and my established location is jumping back and forth between two
spots. This happens regularly to me near my home. If I would happen to have a
location alarm set for one of the two locations Google is picking, and a
different location alarm for Google’s other location, the alerts will continue
to sound incessantly. But maybe this is an unrealistic scenario.

Any user of Nearby, please join in: What do you think?

-Dwight