Just to add that I have just found a partial workaround - which is to open
a new window on the Day by Day view.   This does remember which groups are
open/closed independently of the main window - so I can drag and drop items
from there to the same view in the main window.     Its OK but one is
constrained by the fact that there is only so much that one can do in a
'new window'.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/d5ac01af-dbe6-45e2-a75e-afd80081f2a9%40googlegroups.com.