Hi, Lewie. I know three ways to change the parent of a task that already
exists.
1. drag and drop. Drop the task onto the folder that will be its new
parent. I assume that this is self-explanatory.
2. right click the task and select "Move to..." from the context menu. This
brings up a popup showing all of the tasks in the current view, so to be
safe you should probably use this command from an All-Tasks view. In ther
popup, select the item you want to be the new parent and click OK.
3. click on the task name in any to-do list and add a -tofld command at the
end of the task name. -tofld commands are documented in the user guide in
the section on parsing for the rapid task entry dialog. For an example if
you have a task "balance checkbook" in your inbox and you want it in the
folder named Work you would edit the task name to say "balance checkbook
-tofldWork" and please note no space before "Work". with the task name
still highlighted for entry/edit, position the cursor at the end of the
task name and hit alt/Enter

A couple of other observations:
-adding due dates is entirely unrelated to organizing tasks into folders.
You can do either, both or neither. If you really like managing your tasks
by due date then it's an important thing to do. For a look at a really good
way of managing tasks that de-emphasizes due dates, have a look at the book
"Getting Things Done" by David Allen
- MLO is very flexible in that it will provide you with several options for
handling a situation and let you pick the one that works best for you. So
for example, folders and contexts have overlapping uses. I use folders to
break up my thousand plus tasks into smaller pools (like Home, Work,
Errands) for easier searching, while I use contexts for things I need to
work on the task (@computer, @phone, @car)
-Dwight

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/5578ae83-c40c-4be4-983a-736458cfc34d%40googlegroups.com.