I applied a filter to an outline view to restrict it to tasks with a
particular flag and I then typed something into the text filter box that
matched text in the parent of one of the tasks that had the flag that I was
filtering on.

Result: blank list of tasks.

This wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for - I wanted MLO to apply the
text filter to all items in the outline view (including the parents), not
just the items that matched the filter I had set.

Reason:    the parent was a project and this had the word that I was
searching for.  I keep my task names short and generic (in this case:
'Monitor/Post' and the parent name was 'Linked In'.   I was searching for
Linked In')

If I type a text filter that matches the text of the task that has the flag,
that works as expected.

Not sure whether this is working as expected.   The Help for the Text Filter
Control implies that it works on all items in the view, not just those that
match the other filter criteria.

I find the Text filtering very useful (despite being an early skeptic) for
quickly finding a particular row (using the Ctrl+ L and Ctrl+Shift+L
combinations for applying/removing the filter) in a particular view so this
is not desirable behaviour from my point view as often it is the parent that
contains the differentiating information that I am searching for.

PS: I realise that I could probably achieve the same result by applying a
custom filter to parents only in the Show Hierarchy filter control but this
is cumbersome for a one off quick search

Richard

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/000301cf6461%24fac0fa30%24f042ee90%24%40rcollings.co.uk.