I believe that the behavior you are describing is documented in the User Manual
section on Next Actions which says “Note: If there are Active Tasks without
parent project then only first task for each root task is selected.” The
wording is a little stiff but it is completely consistent with the observed
behaviour making me believe that it’s all intentional. There’s just one glitch
which is this: I believe the statement should have been “Note: If there are
Active Tasks without parent project then only first task for each root item is
selected.” It’s my opinion that rules like this apply equally to tasks,
projects and filters, but the word “task” does not communicate this quite as
clearly as “item”.

I recognize that this is a case where MLO’s out-of-the-box function differs
from what you would prefer. In the long run, that doesn’t matter, what matters
is whether you can use the power of MLO to make a view that does what you want.
Usually that’s the case though the jury is still out for your version of next
actions by project.

As an aside, there are MLO users who try to adhere to GTD orthodoxy. And there
are those who do something entirely unrelated to GTD. A lot of us, though, use
something personal and idiosyncratic that’s inspired by GTD. So when you find a
case where MLO’s default action differs from your understanding of GTD
orthodoxy, that does not necessarily justify changing MLO’s action to be more
nearly compliant. That’s because there are some users out there who are
counting on the existing functionality. I have been stung several times (and
the developers I’m sure have been stung even more) by proposing clear
improvements in MLO functionality only to face a chorus of angry protests from
fans of the prior functionality.

So the better question to ask is, how can MLO provide any tools you need but
don’t have that will let you build your dream view.