Hi, John. MLO is a tool or platform that can be used to manage tasks according
to numerous different methodologies. For the most part, the questions you ask
impress me as being about the methodology and not the tool. In those cases, the
answers you will get from the tool and its documentation will be flexible and
imprecise in order to avoid pushing any methodologies off of the tool. For
example, if you believe that a project without any remaining uncompleted
subtasks is itself a task, MLO will support that. If you believe that a project
is a container for tasks but not itself a task, MLO will support that too,
though not quite as fully. MLO will never tell you which approach is correct.
And so on.

But I do have some further comments on active action and next action.

There are seven conditions that will make an uncompleted action considered
inactive. They are documented in the User Guide section 5.2.1 starting at the
bottom of page 37. You mentioned many but not all of them, some of them will
probably surprise you. The definition of an active action, then, is that it is
any uncompleted task which does not have any of the seven conditions that
signal inactivity.

I think that you are trying too hard to make a distinction between tasks and
projects in next actions. Either a task or a project or a folder may or may not
have subtasks. The differences are, a task cannot have its own next action –
the task and its subtasks are all candidates to be the next action of any
project or folder above them in the hierarchy. Also, a folder cannot be active
and therefore cannot be an active action or a next action. Other than that I
believe that they are identical – if any type of item has uncompleted subtasks
it cannot be active. If an item has subtasks but they are all completed, the
item becomes active (unless it has any other reason to remain inactive, such as
being a folder). Next actions by project shows all next actions, grouped by the
project that contains each. A project without subtasks is active (one way of
interpreting this is that you have one remaining task which is to ensure that
the project has accomplished its objective and close it.) This task/project is
a next action, being the next thing to be done for the project in question. But
it does not qualify for a place among the group headers of the
NextActionByProject view, because it does not contain any tasks that are next
actions. It does not contain itself.

-Dwight