UPDATE

Okay after spending time on experimentation, I think I have now worked out
what each of the standard filters does.

But I can't work out how to create a view that just show Next Actions and
tasks that are not part of a Project.

i.e. I am trying to compress the full complexity of complex project but at
the same time not hide individual tasks that are not part of any formal
project.

Any suggestions?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/811a7b6b-b982-4faf-95a8-80086a0463b5%40googlegroups.com.