Hi, Joel.

short answer: you should turn on "inherit parent dates" for all of your subtasks.

long answer: each task follows its own criteria for when to become active. It's totally legitimate to have a task that starts before the parent task, for example maybe you will do all this work tomorrow but you might need to pick up some supplies today. Also, the parent task in a project is also the last task in the project, sometimes used for clean-up, archive, identify any needed followup, in which case the parent task might run on after the project itself is over. (There are ways to make the parent task into just a project name without being its own separate task, that's out of scope for today's message). Since only the first subtask is active I assume that you are using "complete subtasks in order." The subtasks have no start date which means that they will be active whenever the other conditions are met without any need to wait for a particular date.

So, your current setup says, I have a list of tasks to complete starting with "Wash Car" and ending with "Work on Car", each task will become active when all preceding tasks are completed except that the last task cannot become active until tomorrow and will become overdue at the end of tomorrow unless it has already been completed. The first task, because it has no preceding tasks, is active now. By adding "inherit parent dates" you will change it to, I have a list of tasks to complete starting with "Wash Car" and ending with "Work on Car", each task will become active when all preceding tasks are completed but not before tomorrow, any tasks not completed by tomorrow will become overdue at the end of tomorrow.

-Dwight