Different users use MLO in different (and sometimes surprising) ways.
Personally I'm with you on the 1 file idea but to each his own.

That said I've never butted up against this problem.  I think if you just
don't *close the file* and instead *exit* MLO, you will avoid the issue.
MLO will open up next time with your last-open file already loaded.