MLO philosophy seems to be to make most of the parameters independent of
each other, so you can set up a lot of odd things like active tasks in
paused or stopped projects. Some people want to do a preparatory task for a
project, before the project has actually started, so it suits them. If that
doesn't suit your workflow, you just need to customise the filters and
views to suit what does.

Stéphane