I think you've got me stumped there, Bob. I have a View in which I group by
top level parent (which happens to be four areas of my life: personal,
home, work and community) and then by project status (in progress,
suspended, completed, etc). I just tried converting the second level of my
groups to "IsProject" and I get all my projects listed under the group
value "Yes".
[image: Grouping tasks by IsProject status.png]

Definitely, though, it's more useful to group tasks by Project Status:
[image: Grouping tasks by Project Status.png]

All the best,
Stéphane