Steph,
Indeed this can be addressed in the views as you suggest but two things:

a) as I pointed out, sometimes I'm working in the native tree (full
outline) and that's where I want to work, not in a view.
b) If this change affects just 1/4 of my typical daily views (and it may be
more like 1/2) that's 5 views I have to modify and maintain.
   1. If I make new/other views, it's yet one more parameter I have to
remember to enforce.
   2. If I have other, less-often used views I may not update them promptly
or remember when needed causing me confusion or even frustration.   None of
which is desirable.

This could be reasonable as a workaround but I have to regard it as just a
workaround.

I believe Project Status should be user configurable and should dictate the
status of a project (eg. active or not.)  It is a logical extension of the
feature and imo good for the workflow.

J.