Hey, Trajan, thanks for your interesting post, I enjoyed considering your thought. Though not a direct response, perhaps the following offers some helpful ideas.

In grad school, I depended heavily on MLO.

First, I encoded the due date into the task caption. For example, "PHL710, Reading wk 1". I also set the start and due dates. So, if I changed task dates, the caption would maintain an encoding of the original due date ("wk 1", "wk 2", "wk 3")

I did *not* use "complete tasks in order," so task: "PHL710, submit wk 1" would become active independent of whether task "PHL710, reading wk 1" was active or completed. And I could mark an assignment as submitted, even if I didn't feel the reading was entirely done.

Second, I used contexts to organize tasks by priority, for example, "@1-Submissions", "@2-Writing", and "@3-Reading". This way, tasks are prioritized in the Active Actions view. I could not get the Importance and Urgency fields to do what I wanted.

If you have questions, feel free to let me know.

cheers,
..jason