I've used MLO for GTD for over 10 years. I approach it differently than
Leigh described. Hopefully this will give you some perspective between our
two views.

1. I concur - Outline and To Do are views. For me, my Outline is everything
out of my head and in GTD for tracking. I use "To Do by Context" so I see
things that are "on computer" or "away" or "phone".

2. I don't track area of focus in MLO. Rather, those are part of the weekly
review to add things to my Outline. As above, my primary method is
contexts, which as David Allen describes can be modified to fit your needs.
For me, my contexts for house related things are which room is involved
(@Bedroom, @Master Bathroom, @Guest Room, etc.). Then you can create views
that focus on contexts.

3. A Leigh describes, the tabs are to create slices of your world. Mine are
"active by context", "by due date" (limited to next 30 days), "projects",
"waiting for", "starred", "someday", and "recently modified".

4. I concur, I don't put references in MLO, unless it is a "read XYZ" and
then I link to whatever XYZ is. If a task or project needs a reference, I
have it in the notes section (I love that you can put a ton of characters
there).

Just a few other points:

   1. While GTD says to only put a due date if it is a true due date, I
   don't 100% follow that rule when using MLO. I have several tasks that are
   targeted to be done daily, weekly, etc. For them to show "properly" in my
   to do list, I have then set with a due date. For each, I have a recurrence
   that puts it back the next cycle when I complete it (such as next day or
   next week).
   2. Projects are key to putting GTD in MLO. In my outline, for example, I
   have a "Crafting and Sewing" folder. Under that, I put the title of the
   project and check the "this is a project" checkbox. Below that item are all
   the "next actions" - for a few things, I know all the actions and have them
   listed (often in a "complete subtasks in order" fashion). For others, I may
   not know all the steps, which is where the view of "projects" is helpful,
   because if I see a project and no action, I know I need to define the next
   action.
   3. Project Status is also helpful because I can differentiate future
   (not started) from active (in progress). I hide "completed" from the view.
   4. MLO is extremely flexible and it is worth the time to figure out how
   to mold it to fit you and your style.

Good luck!
Elizabeth