I posted a couple of days ago abou this error and got no response, so I am
trying again with a bit more detail this time.  I am running mysql
3.23.28-gamma on a pretty much stock RH 6.2 box.  I am accessing the
database using Perl CGI scripts and the DBI API.  I have reset the
max_allowed_packet and wait_timeout values to 10M and 32 hours
respectively as is suggested in the manual, but this has had no
effect.  Here are the specifics from the error logs:

DBD::mysql::st execute failed: MySQL server has gone away at
/cgi-bin/common/utility.pl line 85.

010109 14:37:27  Aborted connection 265218 to db: '' user: ''
host: `localhost' (Got timeout reading communication packets)
010109 14:37:27  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

010109 14:37:27  mysqld ended\n

Sean Conley