I've tried "mysql --set-variable=max_allowed_packet=8M" with no luck.
I'm not getting the error message.

The query has multiple selects. When I copy and paste the query with
4 selects in it, everything's fine. If I try with 5, it dies half way
thru the 5th select as its pastes.

Any more clues greatly appreciated.

cheers

Mark

-------- from the manual----
When a MySQL client or the mysqld server gets a packet bigger than
max_allowed_packet bytes, it issues a Packet too large error and
closes the connection.

If you are using the mysql client, you may specify a bigger buffer by
starting the client with mysql --set-variable=max_allowed_packet=8M.
--------