Argh...if I had a nickel for every time this happens...

Of courser after 10 more minutes of searching the manual, I found the
solution.  Still not sure why it defaults to /var/lib.

For archives sake, here's the cut and paste...

"You can also start safe_mysqld with the --socket=/path/to/socket option and
set the environment variable MYSQL_UNIX_PORT to the socket pathname before
starting your MySQL clients."

-Matt