> Please help me with charset adding. I have some strange trouble.
> I use FreeBSD 4.2 STABLE and MySQL 3.23.28-gamma (compiled from FreeBSD
> ports) and PHP 4.04.
> As I understood Latin1 is a default charset. So, I wanted to add cp1251 or
> koi8_ru.

PHP4 has its own mysql client built in - it doesn't link against
libmysqlclient.  The built-in mysql client only knows about the
latin1 character set.

You shouldn't need to change the character set that the client uses.
Instead, you can start the mysqld with the character set you want to
use, since all of the sorting and comparison is done in the server.
The only purpose for changing the client's character set is for
parsing the query that is typed in (for determining if we're in a
string constant or not, for example).  This is important for multi-
byte character sets (I'm not sure how to handle them in the PHP
library - probably they should just link against an external
libmysqlclient), but shouldn't matter for koi8_ru or cp1251.  I
think.

Tim

--
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>