From: Richard Creech - DreamRiver.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2001 4:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: LOAD DATA INFILE has LINES TERMINATED BY problem?

Hello All,

Problem Synopsis:
I am importing a CSV file and need help with 'line terminated with" syntax
or ???

Detail
I have a simple situation and question. I wish to import a comma delimited
file (CSV) from an Excel like file generated by a Windows operating system
into a mySQL database on a linux system.

The problem I experience is that the second (2nd) record and all later
records are scrambled when I use the normal mySQL command of LOAD DATA
INFILE with a php script. I do NOT have access to the mysqlimport or any
other built in interfaces. My commands must flow from a php script.

It appears that the end of line delimiter is not being correctly
interpreted. The first record is correctly read and inserted into the table.
The subsequent lines are not.

This makes me think that the query is close to ok. This is the query:

LOAD DATA INFILE '/home/fpo/htdocs/secure/upload/export-customers.csv'
REPLACE INTO TABLE tempCustomer FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED
BY '"' ESCAPED BY '\' LINES TERMINATED BY '\r' (customerid, custLastName,
custFirstName, custEmail, deliveryDay, storeid)

I have tried many combinations, including LINES TERMINATED BY '\r\n' but I
just can't seem to get this to work.

All I'm trying to do is to read data into the database using a basic
internal command... the archives and manual have helped clarify many
aspects, but I haven't resolved the core issue.

Can you identify the problem?

Any ideas at this point would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Regards,

Richard Creech
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
250.744.3350 Pacific Time Canada
Dynamic website content with phpYellow Pages
http://dreamriver.com/software/index.php3