Thanks to those who replied.  The solution was to drop the table and
then rebuild it.  It was originally populated with a negative number
(yes, we know about the negative problem with auto incrementation),
which caused the max value to show up.  I did not know that you
cannot simply delete the records and re-populate.  MySQL apparently
tracks the last known 'highest' value (could be of use, but not in
this case).  The solution is of course to drop the table and populate
it with a positive value, or no value at all.  I'm still inserting
NULL for the uid in the table, which gets incremented just fine.  The
other solution of implicitly stating the columns for the values to be
inserted works just as well.

Thanks again!

- David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]