Hi!

Peter> Hello bugs,
Peter> Linux. Mysql 3.23.30 (also checked with 3.23.25). Problem appears with
Peter> repear table as well as myisamchk.

Peter> The problem is quite strange. Then repair table or myisamchk repears
Peter> the table, which is empty it grows a index file until it reaches
Peter> it's limit 2GB. And then it says the table is normal.
Peter> I've tried to  copy a index and frm files from other table, but it
Peter> still have the problem. Only the thing helped me here was backup
Peter> with mysqldump and then restore.

Peter> I've created a working example which is uploaded as
Peter> badrepair.tar.gz. Hope it will work for you.

The problem was that one byte in the index definition has been destroyed.
(There was a 1 instead of a 0 in one position); This made it
impossible for myisamchk to know how to repair the file :(

The only way to repair it is to use the method outlined in the 'hard
repair' section in the MySQL manual.

I have now added test to MyISAM open to detect some cases of index
definition corruption and give a better error on open.

The big question is how this byte could have been corrupted; MyISAM
doesn't ever write anything in this position after the table was created.
Have you hade some file system corruption recently that could explain
this?
Do you have any other ideas that could explain how you got a corrupted
file?

Regards,
Monty