Hi Firdaus!

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Firdaus Mah wrote:

> Hi Jerome,
>
> Heh... I'm already doomed. I'ved just inserted 32 million records and its
> stopped at 2GB even using on reiserfs.
> I'ved not checked the detail or experience in Postgress development. Does it
> do stripping as well ie breaking up tables and index file.

It is not reiserfs which is limiting you to 2GB (reiserfs is unsigned and
should limit you to 4GB), however the VFS layer is only signed so it will
not communicate the extra bit to reiserfs so that it will access >2GB.

I suspect that if you were to apply the LFS patches it will start working,
but I've never done it on a reiserfs partition.

> My conclusion is that until this moment, MySQL is suitable for small to medium
> databases.

Not true, I have MySQL running on a Alpha and have none of these limitations

=)

-Myron

> firdaus
>
> Jerome Abela wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 12:51:50PM +0800, Firdaus Mah wrote:
> > > this is how i'ved created
> > > create table test (field char(70) not null primary key) RAID_TYPE=STRIPED
> > > RAID_CHUNKS=1024 RAID_CHUNKSIZE=1024;
> >
> > This only works if mysqld was compiled with the --with-raid option.
> > You can check this by grepping 'CONFIGURE_LINE=' from mysqlbug script.
> > Otherwise, the RAID option to CREATE is silently ignored.
> >
> > Note that only the data file (MYD) is stripped. If your index becomes
> > too big, you are doomed.
> >
> > Jerome.
>

> --
>     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> If you have a broken mail client that cannot send a message to
> the above address (Microsoft Outlook), you can use:

Emanuel.exe