Sir, here's a guess in return. The best way to deal with this is to
have your client app run a query that counts the rows where
packagesParts.pri <> 0. Then run the query below only if the count is
greater than 0.

Bob Hall

>Hi,
>
>I am guessing this is the kind of problem that would be easier to solve with
>a sub select
>

>SELECT
>simpleparts.category,simpleparts.partnumber,simpleparts.manufacturer,simplep
>arts.descrp,ABS(packagesParts.pri) as abPRI,categories.sortorder
>FROM ((packagenames LEFT JOIN packagesParts ON packagenames.packageID =
>packagesParts.packageID)
>LEFT JOIN simpleparts ON packagesParts.partnumber = simpleparts.partnumber)
>LEFT JOIN categories ON simpleparts.category = categories.category
>WHERE simpleparts.configurator <>0
>AND categories.onconfig <>0
>AND packagenames.packagename = $system_name
>AND simpleparts.category = ?
>ORDER BY abPRI DESC
>
>This in one case returns
>

>------------------+------------+--------------+---------------------+------+
>-----------+
>| category         | partnumber | manufacturer | descrp              | pri
>| sortorder |
>+------------------+------------+--------------+---------------------+------
>+-----------+
>| Game Controllers | 234232     | Jumbo Video  | Video card      |    1 |
>24 |
>| Hard Drives            | 78544      | HTH          | a Drive controller
>|    1 |        12 |
>| Floppy Drives         | HP-4p      | HP           | 4P - 48bit
>|    1 |        13 |
>| CPUs               | int-550c   | Intel        | Celeron 500MHZ 128K   |
>1 |         1 |
>| Memory           | mem-102    | who knows    | 256M 120pin         |    1
>|         3 |
>| Scanners         | 9955       | Acer         | 10 ISA
>|    0 |        22 |
>| Game Controllers | game-01    | Atari        | Simple stick            |
>0 |        24 |
>| CPUs             | INT550     | INTEL        | PIII 550 CPU
>|    0 |         1 |
>| Memory           | mem-101    | who knows    | 128M
>|    0 |         3 |
>| Modems           | mod-124    | USR          | sportster 28.8
>|    0 |         9 |
>+------------------+------------+--------------+---------------------+------
>+-----------+
>
>But I have one more constraint that I would like to be able to include in
>the query and not deal with in code.
>
>I want to not return anything in the case where none of the
>packagesParts.pri  are = 0  this is hard because I do what those
>packagesParts.pri =0 where there is a packagesParts.pri = 1 in the result set.
>

>Is there a way to cram this into my query with mysql as it stands?
>

>I saw some people here do some pretty fancy stuff, so I thought it was worth
>asking.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Eric
>

>Frazier Consulting
> [...]

Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.     -Khushhal Khan Khatak