On 16 Jan 2001, Drew Wilder-Goodwin wrote:

> what does a 'show processlist' reveal?

        I don't know: I restarted mysqld (and then when that didn't start
properly rebooted the server, and then when that didn't come up again
power cycled it -- it was One Of Those Days (TM) :-( )

        What would I have looked for in the show processlist output?

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Jan 17), John Stumbles said:
> > SELECT * from MAC_connections
> >     or even
> > SELECT count(*) from MAC_connections
> >
> > hangs! (it's been sitting there for the last 10 minutes and hasn't
> > produced anything!)
>
> The server always caches the value of count(*), so the only reason it
> couldn't return the result to you would be if the table was locked by
> another process doing a long UPDATE or DELETE query; are there any
> other queries being run at the same time?

        There's a process which updates the table, but it does a few dozen
or hundred updates a record at a time that shouldn't account for it,
should it?

regards,

--
John Stumbles                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I.T. Services Centre,   University of Reading  http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~visstmbl