This could also be related to hard coded thread limits in the linux kernel (which will
need a kernel recompile) and glibc libraries. The library issue will only come into
play if you compiled your own Mysql. This has been discussed previously on this list.
Search the archives at http://lists.mysql.com

--
Richard Ellerbrock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> "Johan Björk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2001/01/17 01:19:13 >>>
One simple(?) question.

What's the recommended setting for ulimit on a system running MySQL 3.23.27,
Red Hat 7.0, and PHP which now and then when connecting with
mysql_pconnect() produce the error: "Can't create a new thread (errno 11).
If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a
possible OS-dependent bug"

The current ulimit -a is:

core file size (blocks)     1000000
data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
file size (blocks)          unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes)  unlimited
max memory size (kbytes)    unlimited
open files                  1024
pipe size (512 bytes)       8
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          2048
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

As suggested by someone else the following is also set:

echo "8192" > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
echo "24576" > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max

MySQL variables are set to # of file descriptors/threads according to the
manual recommendations.

We would be interested in a competent consultant to help us with this,
because I'm 100% sure our system should be able to handle much more load
than the current, if it just would be correctly configured.

---
Johan Björk