This looks to be a misconfig problem with the mySQL server itself. Take a look
at the mysql.users table. Make sure there is some type of entry for user '%'
from host '%' with a password. Once those are in place, the server should let
you in. Be sure the db you are connecting has proper privileges defined in
mysql.db

-Martin