I've spent most of this day reading and rereading the documents on setting up
MySQL.  I'm currently working on NIDS and have setup MySQL on the same box as
the sensor for logging of packets to verify that I had the NIDS setup
correctly for db logging.  I then installed MySQL (binary rpm version) on a
server and configured it.  I added the user (who also exists on that
system) and granted it insert and select privledges and set the host to be a
class b subnet (xxx.xxx.0.0/255.255.0.0).  when I try to test the connection
remotely I get an error (1130) saying Host '' is not allowed to connect.  The
machine has no DNS entry and since the system is from that range of IP's I
don't see why it says connection refused.

While logged in locally at the box I tried doing a telnet localhost 3306 and
got a refused connection, but when I tried telnet <hostname> 3306 I get a few
garbage characters (this is from the box that will do the logging to
itself).  When I tried telnetting from the remote box I again get the host not
allowed message.

The boxes are both running RH6.2, MySQL 3.22.32 which I got off mysql.com
(installed client, devel and shared as well as MySQL-3.22.32)

output of mysql -p -e "select host,db,user from db" mysql

| host                    | db      | user    |
| %                       | test    |         |
| XXX.XXX.0.0/255.255.0.0 | snort   | snortdb |
| localhost               | snort   | snortdb |