>     * It'd be handy to create a compressed tar file (.tar.gz). I'll
>       probably add that.

great ;) but i'll transfer it compressed with scp, so it's no big problem for
me. But a "-z"-switch would probably be useful for lots of people.

>     * It'd be nice to specify which databases/tables not to snapshot
>       (or to say "only snapshot these databases/tables"). If folks
>       need that, it can be added also.

yes, just like mysqldump...? ;)

> Comments and feedback welcome. Half the reason I wrote this was to see
> if it would work. The other half is that I figured it'd be useful if
> it did. :-)

It surely is useful. i'll write two or three shell-scripts around, so it
automatically transfers the tar-file to the slave ans starts another script
there that puts the data in the right directory and restarts the
replication... So in case the replication crashes, it's just a "click" and
everythings fine again. ;) that'll save me a lot of time!

but i need to be able to select *one* database and exclude *one* table from
that database... if there's nobody else needing that, i'll just make some
changes in your script and customize it for my system, otherwise I (or you?)
could add that feature ,although i won't find much time for that before
february. i'll see what the response is by then.

> Thanks,
>
> Jeremy

thanks to you for the script!
(i thought about programming something like that, too, but just didn't come
any further than thinking about it... i just didn't have more time. :( )

Jan