I am unable to connect to MySQL either as root or user unless I issue a
"mysqld --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock - u root" command. This is good
for all users as long as the machine is booted.

I have checked Ksysv and mysql is enabled at startup.

I have copied/renamed the myxxx.conf files into /etc and ~user directories
and edited them to contain a pointer to the sock file. I have also edited the
mysql startup script to contain the line

        "socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock"

No luck, what am I missing here?
--
Laurie Savage