I'm afraid this borders on sql/db question material vs. specific mysql
material, but it stems from what I've read in the O'Reilly mysql book.

If I have a db, which has two tables that have about 15 fields each.
table_a        table_b
a_id            b_id
a_field1       b_field1
.                    .
.                    .
a_field14    b_field14

and they have a many to many relationship between them.  Should I
a. Create a normalized junction entity.?
table_ab
ab_id
a_id
b_id

or do I
b. Just do a JOIN between the tables?

If choice a., how do I do the indexing so that searches for b_id based
on a a_id value are fast, and vice-versa?

thanks
--Dylan Shea