Okay, thanks guys!  I'll lob this ball atcha, then:

My main data table is 'trcdatabase2'.  I currently use perl programs to get
our in-house exported flat-file database into web-ready shape, but these
can go *really* *slowly*, so I wanted to harness the speed of SQL.  I've
created a couple of copies of the table, 'newdatabase' & 'readydatabase'; I
load the flat-text export file directly into 'newdatabase', then I had it
in mind to work various perl/sql transformations upon it which would get
funneled into the empty 'readydatabase' table.

The first thing I wanted to do was export all of the data which is in both
'newdatabase' & 'trcdatabase2' into the 'readydatabase' table.  So I'd
basically be moving the rows from the active & web-ready 'trcdatabase2'
into 'readydatabase' if & only if the catalog number ('catalog') was still
included in the newly-uploaded 'newdatabase'.  Here was my best guess:

INSERT INTO readydatabase SELECT trcdatabase2.* FROM trcdatabase2,
newdatabase WHERE newdatabase.catalog = trcdatabase2.catalog

This caused horrible problems.  It ran & ran, & then I had some type of
monster table ('readydatabase') which nearly kept me from opening the MySQL
shell interpreter, & took about 10 minutes just to DROP.

Did I set up some kind of infinite loop?  Is it because I've failed to set
up 'catalog' as a primary key?

If the latter, I've got another problem:  I seem to have CREATE, but not
ALTER TABLE privileges.  I'm still waiting to hear back from my sysadmin
about this.

I hope to do all sorts of similar comparison transformations, & I'm afraid
I just don't have table linking down conceptually, or something.  Any help
would be most appreciated.

They're running MySQL 3.22.32 on Red Hat 5.2, incidentally.  TIA!!