>Just a question of curiousity.  Can you install PHP using tars files?
>I was looking at purchasing a few servers last fall and when I looked at the
>RAQ3/4 they (colbalt) told me that you could only install their stuff and
>they didn't have new versions of MySQL and only PHP3.

Yep!
The Cobalts aren't perfect.
But they're great for hosting many websites for people - if you want them
to be able to go administer stuff themselves.
(Add users, change passwords, etc.  Stuff you don't want to bother with.)

The only downside is it's not a standard Apache installation - so you can't
just rebuild Apache.

But yes you CAN use MySQL and PHP just fine, from source.
(I'll include the PHP installation instructions for a RaQ3, below.)

>Would you recommend these to meet our needs?  (We need a dedicated MySQL
>server, 2 apache servers (that load balance/high availablity of which will
>also run a nameserver on each one), one dedicated mail server (probably
>Qmail from what has been recommended so far).

Man - if you're talking about a machine having a single purpose in life,
like ONLY Apache/PHP/MySQL, or ONLY a Qmail server, then your BEST bet is
to use beautiful stripped-down OpenBSD.

Sera Systems rules.  I've used them to buy/build 3 servers, and they do the
OpenBSD installation and optimization.

Check out this link:
http://www.serasystems.com/serabox.html
Then this one:
http://www.serasystems.com/preconfiguration.html

---------- and IF you go for a Cobalt RaQ --------------

PHP INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS for the Cobalt RaQ3/4.

Step 1:  Go get the most recent source tarball from http://www.php.net/
Untar it:
tar -xvfz php4-[tab]

******** TO MAKE PHP4:

## - weird little bug workaround - was looking in wrong directory for Apache
cd /usr/bin
ln -s /usr/sbin/httpd httpd

DIRECTORY  (/home/sites/home/users/admin/php4#/)
./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
--enable-track-vars --enable-trans-sid --enable-ftp

make

make install

vi php.ini-dist

         #### under [mail function]
         sendmail_path   = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

## COPY THE CONFIGURATION FILE TO WHERE PHP LOOKS FOR IT
cp php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini

## WE HAVE TO ADD MySQL TO THE LIBRARY PATH
vi /etc/ld.so.conf
         ## - ADD THESE LINES AT THE END;
         /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql

/sbin/ldconfig

## MAKE APACHE PHP-READY:

vi /etc/httpd/conf/srm.conf

find this line:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm  etc....
and add the 2 more options:   index.php index.php3

find the line talking about PHP:
change it from "php3" to just:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .htm .html

## READY TO RESTART APACHE:

go into /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

and IF there is a line that reads this:
LoadModule php4_module        lib/apache/libphp4.so

amend it to read this:
LoadModule php4_module        /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.so

then restart httpd:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart