Hi there,

One of my users wants to copy a large table. He normally does this through
PHPMyAdmin, but the table seems too large for the web browser to handle,
and it times out.

I'm using mysql version 3.22.32-log on a RedHat Linux 6.2 (Intel) box. The
file system is on a hardware RAID array.

Can I simply copy the files associated with the table via the OS shell
(e.g. 'cp table_name.ISD new_table_name.ISD' etc.) and expect MySQL to know
about it? Will I need to create the indexes for the table manually, or will
MySQL do that automatically? Do I need to update any database records so
that MySQL will know about the table (and indexes)?

Alternatively, is there an SQL command I could use to do this? If so, is it
any better/worse/safer/unsafer than doing a file system copy?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge - MySQL usually just runs along without
any problems, so i haven't had to touch it much yet ;-)

Thanks,
Guy.
--
Guy Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, tel. 61+2 6620 3196
Unix Team, Information Technology Services