Hi all. I had the OpenBSD problems others have reported, with slow
response, high load/cpu usage, crashes, etc. Sinisa reported a month or
so ago it was a bug in the 2.8 threading library. I wrote to the OpenBSD
developers, and they had made changes to libc_r which solved mysql
problems for another user.

  I updated my libc_r source code to -current, compiled and installed the
new libc_r* files into /usr/lib, and my mysql problems seem to have
disappeared. All problems we were having before have stopped, at least
for the most part.

  I'd like to suggest two things are added to the FAQ. First, that
OpenBSD 2.8 has a threading bug that will cause various problems with
MySQL. That'd have saved me a lot of time. Secondly, also add that as of
today's date the -current branch of libc_r mostly or completely fixes the
problem for i386.

  A side note, when trying to work around this we were trying the
mit-pthreads version we had trouble with the alias ALIGN() which OpenBSD
also defines. The solution we used was just to add "#undef ALIGN" before
the ALIGN declaration in the 4-5 .h files where it is used. After this,
mit-pthreads compiled on 2.8 without any further problem. Considering
mit-pthreads will never want to use an OS ALIGN() instead of it's own,
perhaps add this #undef to the distribution, or add it conditional on
detecting OpenBSD.

  Thanks,

-Jonathan

---