Hi.

I find that 1-to-1 relationships are often useful & appropriate, and they
would help you reduce the number of columns per row.

For instance in some db of people, addresses, salary info, medical info,
&c, ------although they could be jammed into one giant row per person, make
perfect sense in separate tables with a person-key linking rows in these
tables to rows in the person table in a one-to-one relationship.

This assumes these 248 piece of data have some logical internal structure
that would group them into sets that could describe some entity.

My 2 cents.

- Brian Hughes
   Web Developer/Programme Analyst
   LII, Cornell Law School